' In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy path.' Proverbs 3:6

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

'Live De Life' In St. Kitts

St. Kitts
On one side you can see the Atlantic ocean and the other is the Caribbean Sea... 
This was the view of the day I think, which is saying a lot because the entire island of St. Kitts was surreal for the most part.
We opted out of an excursion while at St. Kitts and we're so pleased with the way the day turned out.
Somehow our asking for a taxi turned into an island tour taxi for the day with a group of 8. We drove the country side of this gorgeous island and had a blast...and though our taxi guide couldn't take a decent picture,bless his heart,  he was so informative and passionate about his native island and it reflected on us and our high opinion of this island paradise. (the below is a prime example of his camera skillz..gotta love how he captured  the wonderful gravel and dirt under our feet rather then the AMAZING VIEW behind us!! )
:)
Leaving the ship for the day after seeing views like this one from the ship deck we both knew it was going to be a great day on a fabulous caribbean island. Per our taxi guide, Ezekial, St. Kitts is actually a shortened version of St. Christopher.  Ok thats all the history lesson I will give here as I am not a history buff and my spelling gets worse each year! but I'll go ahead and throw in that the tree behind us in this next picture is the 'flamboyant tree' and per Ezekial the people of St. Kitts have adopted it as their island tree. Most that we saw were BRIGHT lip stick red but he said they come in many other color. I guess it is my blog I can tell what I want!


I invisioned Kellen setting on this bench when I took the picture.
My sweet sweet baby K smiling with his big ol 14 tooth grin and laughing and jumping down to go tear up some flowers. (missed him madly)
This art work is wonderful. If I were made of money I would have bought
most of it and shipped it back to decorate my house with.  
Though this isnt the exact house, it was taken not far from where Ezekial said the prime minister of St. Kitts lives. He grew up in a home down town, were talking RIGHT on the road. Nice two story white home but nothing big even for their norm. He said he chose to live there now  among the people. E said he walks the streets and talks to people just like anyone else and listens and talks to anyone.. Very cool. Maybe he should give some political lessons? Host some classes? Just a thought.
Also E said the entire island is one of a kind in that there is running water for ALL. and its FREE.
I'm guessing he means water wells located throughout the island with free access.
It was awesome to hear him talk about how 'blessed' they are. I totally agree E.


                                                                                 This lady was precious...I went to take her picture and put the camera down thinking it might be rude to just point a big ol lense in someones face like they are the entertainment act.. but she smiled reallly big and held up the coke bottle in front of her and posed with it and told me it was ok.. So I took the picture and bought the coke!! :)
Never heard of this place prior to this day. When they asked us if we wanted to go see the fortress on the hill we were like SURE! We pretty much say sure to anything you ask us to go see, never knowing what in the world we're agreeing to.
One crazy narrow and rugged road to the top of a hill side later we were at Brimstone Hill Fortress.. Right before the entrance there was this little shack of a building stuck on the side of the narrow road. Looked like it might have been an abondoned run down security post or something.  The building had like 8 cats just hanging out laying around being lazy.. and a little sign beside it that said 'No Dogs Allowed'...
LOL
Can you say random! We got a good laugh out of that.
Brimstone was pretty sweet I'll be fair.




 Jon's butt was my view on the way to the fortress.. I'm apparently slow and old!
I used the excuse that I was taking pictures of the view.
:)
As we drove through the town earlier in the day, we passed what looked like a town center and E had told us it was kids day on the island.. He called it something but I forget what he said I was too busy gawking and smiling at all the adorable kiddos as their parents were walking them in from all over the island to attend the kids fest.. I gathered that the kids fest shirt was brown, as almost all of the kids we were seeing as we drove the island were all wearing brown tee shirts.. Their hair all done, best blue jeans on, white shoes, they were decked out and ready to go celebrate a day all about them! At the fortress later that day there was a huge group of kids. My thought is that it was a special treat to get to go on a 'field trip' to the fortress due to it being kids day. So cute.
'Live De Life'
The first beach we went to was Cockleshell beach.  E told us it was the SPOT.
Well, there were lots of people thats for sure, and lots of shells washed up on shore so that was neat but other then the awesome catch phrase they used for the food shack we just werent that impressed.
Too many people and too little sand. We ate some delicious fried pricey conch cakes and enjoyed the atmosphere for a little while.
Next was Friar Bay.. Great spot. And if you've heard about the monkeys on the island of St. Kitts, Friar was the place to find some of them. Supposedly there are 3 times the amount of monkeys on the island then there are people. We saw a few walking around on shoulders as pets but there were about 12 or more at this beach spot. They were a hoot to watch. Love me some monkeys!



                                               .. and the 'dang monguls got in the garbage again.'
                                                        They have Monguls too!!
On the way back to the dock E was showing us property and land and homes for sale and hinting around that we should invest in their island and that they welcome growth. We got the feeling that he believed we must have enough money to do that.. like if were off on vacation then we must be rich?  E I would totally buy up some St. Kitts if I could my friend.. I sure sure would. Little peice of God's delicious pie!
                                                         Until we meet again, St. Kitts

No comments:

Post a Comment