' In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy path.' Proverbs 3:6

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Feverishly homebound!

So we didnt even make it to one year old before visiting the ER!
He had been batting at his ears for several weeks but because he hadnt been fussy about it I just assumed it was allergies or another one of his many baby quirks.. well, this past week along with what seems to be like over half the population, he got sick.. his temp was soaring well into the 100's.. it reached 104.4 and Gramma came over with meds in hand and we took him to the doctor.. They clocked it at 104.9 and immediately started draping him in ice cold wash cloths and fluids. They concluded that he has an ear infection in both ears, but as for his congestion, high fever and other symptoms they didnt know what was wrong. After the strep,flu, and rsv tests came back negative and we had been there long enough for the meds to kick in, they checked his temp again and it had gone back up. The doc said we had to take him to the ER.. So off we went. It seems a little wild that we bundle ourselves and our children up during the winter months from head to toe and make a stink over it anytime we see someone with their kid out in the cold without a coat and hat, yet the doctor sent me straight out the door with my child wearing nothing but a diaper and some wet rags. The ER got us in right away.. After a few more hours and the same tests ran they couldnt tell us anymore then the original doc. So $1,000+ doctor bill later we learned no new information from the ER.. grr. He did get an antibiotic for the ear infections and as a new mom I learned a LOT about fevers.. I now know what to do if he ever gets one. Motrin....3 hours later Tylenol...3 hours later Motrin...3 hours later tylenol... until the fever is gone. Mimi stayed the night to make sure both kellen and I were ok. As my mom she knows that I need reassurance when things like this happen. And Jon knowing me also came straight in from his trip to get Jax and immediately asked how I was handling all of this.. He told me I 'earned my first stripe' as a mom..  See him and I both know we have quite the journey ahead of us with Kellen. Jon was in the hospital numerous times and I cant even count how many times my parents had to take me to the ER for stitches... and every time I remember my mom being so calm and collected and put my mind at ease, and i'm thinking to myself HOW ON EARTH am I going to be able to pull that off for Kellen.. He wimpers and I want to pick him up or he bumps his head and I'm so angry at the piece of furniture i'm ready to throw it out the window! I feel blessed to have my child home and getting over this crap. It is better to be on the safe side even if your out some bucks.. However, I was hoping to put off the first ER trip for a loooot later in his life.... LIKE NEVER! 
11.5 months old!
--------------------
So for the entire week we've been layin low. Even sick he is still a fun happy baby just a little more clingy and still at times.. he begs to look out the window at the snow or for me to open the door and he'll set there and point at it and laugh.. so i decided to bundle him up and go outside today.... he was not having any part of me trying to set down in the snow.. and holding a baby in one arm and a rather large camera in the other can be tricky!
awwwwwww, sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment