' In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy path.' Proverbs 3:6

Monday, April 22, 2013

MommaSnaps: DIY: Bringing it Indoors!

 
MommaSnaps: DIY: Bringing it Indoors!
 
With April showers brings May flowers, yada yada.. This year March brought on plenty of groggy cold rainy days in our neck of the woods.  Outdoor photo ops for kids just weren't happening. So while gawking through Lowe's one fine day, I ran across these rather large pieces of flooring and the great big light bulb above my head shined bright! (ding!)
 
 
One sheet lays down, one sets up against something solid to secure it from falling, slightly tilted back. (kitchen table in this case is doing the job nicely.)
 They are facing my large dining room window so the natural light shines through. Typically high noon or the times when outdoor shooting is not ideal is when it worked best for these fun shots.
 

 Originally I had Easter pictures in mind for my kiddos, but realized they were turning out too cute not to invite the cousins and some friends!  These particular sheets are large enough for all ages and sizes. We did not try an entire family, but a family of 4 or 5 could fit on here fine. FYI
 
 
 

 

'The ties that bond' ha
Pop some color!
Don't be afraid to add some LIFE and color to your pictures by adding fun goodies like these Chevelly ties! Jon's mom had gotten these boys these coordinating shirts for some spring scrapbook pictures and I thought why not throw the ties on with them.
 
 
and speaking of 'popping color'... I am always looking for ways to turn existent 'junk' into photo props. I had these four out of date block art pieces that were not going to be good for anything else, so I asked Shelly to cover them in coordinating chevron fabric to go with the ties. Just like with many of my 'ideas' it didn't turn out eggggsactly as I had envisioned, but it is cute none the less. Don't be afraid to at least give it a try. The below picture makes it allll worth it! definitely a fave!
 

 
My son, the lucky duck, gets to do several 'sessions' with Momma's new toys...
We did a 'baseball' themed set. In this next one my husband is simply setting beside me tossing him the baseball. A little action mixed in the bunch. Adding the ball and glove and bat etc etc is helpful in lots of sessions involving kids though, not just one like this. Getting the kids attention off of the lens pointed at them and on to something they enjoy helps break up the grumps.
 

 
 
 
 
I've obviously photo shopped a lot of these. Mainly just playing with the colors and brightness. Haven't had to use a lot of contrast which I prefer not to. Loving the black and white shots with this light back ground. Any time the subject is wearing white I lean towards black and white shots as an option.
and again, Chevelly made the suspenders and bow tie below. Just too cute and fun, loves it. Email her with any creative ideas you have for your kids pictures and she will work with you on getting you what you want, and for such a reasonable price! I adore me some Shelly!  

 
And though these sheets of flooring are not going to last forever, they have already provided an excellent alternative to the weather... and for under $30 total I'd say...
SCORE!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment